The big beautiful church of the market town, build in the Middle Ages, is well worth a visit
The church was build after the big Wendish attack on Falster in 1158. The church building was probably started in about 1160 and was possibly dedicated to Sankt Anna in the Middle Ages. It is built in basilican form with nave and two side aisles. Unfortunately it is marked by hard restoration and restoration in 1881.
The church is the only historical evidence of the medieval greatness of the town, and with its position in the highest place of the stump, it became a central stamping ground throughout history. During the restauration of the church in 1882 they found remains of a former smaller church under the present floor in the nave. The culture layer at the market place and around the church is only about 30 cm, which fits with the floor level of the nave, which lies two steps under the place in front of the main entrance. The floor in the nave is still on level with the 12th century.
The nave has a flat ceiling, whereas the side aisles are arched. The tower and the north chapels are build in late Gothic period of medieval large bricks, presumably in the second half of the 15th century. The north chapel of the ship is seen as a fine example of the building art of the time. It is build in medieval large bricks with belts of limestone.