NB!

Do also read about other historic places.

Click here above.

Stampen

The old water mill at the small river Fribrødre Å

At the mouth of the small river Fribrødre Å at the end of Møllegade a water mill was situated and it is first mentioned in 1509, but it is probably older. It is assumed that it was build in the 12th-13th century by the same monks who build the church. Compared with Ribe in Jutland the monks build the church, dam and water mill at the same time. The foundations do still lie under a house in Møllestræde nowadays.

The mill was originally a grain mill, but in 1815 it is mentioned as a fulling mill. The grinders were replaced by pistons, which worked up the knitted clothes so that they filtered. The mill did probably get the name Stampen, because the stamping pistons could be heard far away. Gradually it was difficult to get enough water to drive the mill.

In 1845 the trust Det Classenske Fideicommis did thus decide to dig a channel about 250 km before the original mouth, and here a new mill was build. The land on the eastern side of the old harbor belonged to the Fideicommis. The new mill served as stamping mill until 1888, where it was build into a grain mill. Now the mill is a private house.

The stamping mill can nowadays be seen from Orevej.


Post card from Stubbekøbing Local historic Archive